Rapid testing for people without symptoms
Everyone in Blackburn with Darwen without symptoms of coronavirus can access free, regular, rapid coronavirus testing.
Rapid tests using lateral flow devices are available from the borough’s three testing hubs:
- Ewood Park (Darwen End) open: 8am-3pm (Mon-Fri)
- King George’s Hall, Blackburn open: 7.30am-3pm (Mon-Fri)
- Work at Over Darwen House, BB3 2RG open: 7.30am-3pm (Mon-Fri)
You do not need to book and your test results will usually be available in half an hour. You will need a mobile number or email address to register when you arrive.
Following the Government’s announcement that everyone in England will be able to access twice-weekly free, regular, rapid coronavirus (COVID-19) testing from April 9, people without symptoms can also get rapid testing kits in a number of extra ways too:
- Order online via national delivery service
- Community Collect – pick up kits in person (no appointment needed) from the rapid test hubs at King George’s Hall, Ewood Park and Work at Over Darwen House during opening hours or from Old Bank Lane, Blackburn College and Railway Road PCR test sites after 1pm. The Council is also looking to expand the number of local venues where community collect testing kits are available.
- Pharmacy Collect service via participating local pharmacies
Please note that lateral flow testing is not required within 90 days of a positive result. Individuals and workplaces who choose to continue lateral flow testing within 90 days of a positive test can still access support from the Council’s Public Health and Outbreak Management teams (BWDCOVID19@blackburn.gov.uk)
Testing for people with symptoms
If you are worried or have any doubts about any possible covid-19 symptoms you can also attend one of the borough’s other walk-in testing facilities or the permanent testing site outside the Royal Blackburn Hospital. Appointments for the site outside the hospital are available via the national system. You can register and book online or by calling 119. The registration process takes approximately 5 minutes to complete. This provides you with an appointment.
We also have two walk-in sites at the locations below. Please note that these sites do not offer SMART tests and therefore your results will taken longer to arrive. You can book an appointment on-line, or just attend the site.
- Blackburn college car park open 08:00-20:00
- Railway Road car park, Darwen open 08:00-20:00
Parking is not available on site. Free parking is available on Knott Street, Atlas Road or Darwen Market Roof Top.
Please maintain social distancing and wear a face covering when you attend for a test.
A home test kit is available by calling 119 or you can request a home kit to be posted out to you online. When you have done your test at home and are ready to post your kit back, you need to use a Royal Mail priority postbox. You can find your nearest priority postbox on the Royal Mail website.