Students all over Maidstone have received excellent A - level results and their next step at University will be an exciting one. The preparation can be stressful as there is so much to think about when moving away into new student dorms so, to ease those concerns, we have put together a guide of what you need to remember to begin your new adventure.
If you are moving into student accommodation, it's a great idea to contact the accommodation and find out what items are already provided for you in your new room. This is so that you can properly prepare a precise list of the items you need.
It is wise to write a list of all of the items you know you'll need and check them off the list as you go. Shops like Wilko, Matalan, New Look and the Works (all located inside the Mall Maidstone) will have all of your university accommodation needs:
- Clothes for all seasons, don’t forget smart wear
- Stationary, including pens, pencils, note-pads and highlighters to keep organised
- Personal items (toiletries etc.)
- A first aid kit
- Bed linen, pillows, duvets, blankets etc.
- USB stick
- Cleaning products
- Pots, pans, cutlery, plates, bowls
- Toaster and kettle (your accommodation may already have this)
Top tip: If you are sharing a kitchen with a flatmate, make sure to ask them if they have already purchased a toaster and/or kettle and see if they are willing to share. Not only will this save on money, but it’ll open up the kitchen countertop free of these bulky items.
- Clothes hangers
- PC/laptop and any cables and chargers (most universities are still operating online learning so a PC/Laptop will be very helpful. Double check with your university if you will be learning online)
- Games and sports equipment to keep you entertained on your free time
- An umbrella for those rainy days
On top of everything we have listed, you should also bring items from home to make that transition to a new scary place a little bit easier. On moving day, make time in your trip to visit a grocer and buy a weeks worth of food items so that you can focus on moving in and readjusting.
We look forward to welcoming you to the Mall to begin your shopping preparation for University.